Your skin is your largest organ & what you put on it matters. It really does.
If you are buying organic & trying to ‘live clean’, but you haven’t stopped to think about what is going on your skin – now is the time.
Think about the number of products you use every day.
- Hair products
- Shaving cream
- Hand creams
- To name a few….
Here’s the shocker:
- The United States has not passed a major federal law regulating the cosmetics industry since 1938. (Shocking, right? I mean, how many chemicals have we brought into the market since WWII?)
- Over the past two decades, the European Union has banned close to 1,400 chemicals in the product formulas of personal care products and restricted the levels of over 250 more in such products. The United States has only partially banned 30 to date.
- There are more than 80,000 chemicals on the market today. Many don’t have any safety data. This is particularly true of those used in the skin care and beauty industry. (And, when I say many – we are talking about more than 80%)
I could go on and on, but you get the gist. The $60+ billion beauty industry is regulated by approximately two pages of federal law.
When we look around us at the increase in cancers, allergies, auto-immune diseases, etc. – across the board – all ages – we can’t help but acknowledge that our bodies are not doing so well in this environment. And science agrees.
So – now what?
The good news is that we can reduce our exposure by learning about what ingredients to avoid.
We can help spread this information so consumers start to demand better & companies start to respond.
It’s just the beginning. It took years for the organic food movement to make it into the mainstream. The same is happening for the personal care & cosmetic industries. Consumers are driving change.
And, so are companies like Beautycounter – a mission-driven company and a wellness brand with a bold ambition: to get safer products into the hands of everyone.
- By creating and distributing safer products
- Educating consumers about the need for safer products
- Advocating for more health-protective laws in the personal care industry.
And I love that we are doing it as a Certified B Corporation, which is a rigorous third-party certification that ensures a business equally considers people, planet, and profit. Pretty awesome.
Now that we are connected here, I would love to pass a long a little more education & some resources that I have found critical in my journey to “do better”.
I’d love for you to stick around, subscribe to my newsletter, find me on social media & let’s be friends.
Because together we can do so much more than we can do alone. And, we need EVERYONE to fix this mess we have created!