I put together a quick tutorial for all you guys about skincare – what your skin needs – especially after the age 50. In this video, you will learn:
- How your skin is different
- How to know if ingredients in your products are safe
- Easy things you can do to improve your skin – whether you are a total beginner or you’re looking for more advanced results
- Also – how I can make this super easy for you so you don’t have to shop or search or become an expert at anything
Men’s skin is very different from women’s. It’s thicker (about 25% thicker than women’s) – which is attributed to collagen density. This is why men’s skin tends to stay younger looking longer.
Men’s skin is also tougher due to slower cellular turnover & constant shaving that disrupts the skin barrier. It’s also more oily because men produce more sebum than women & tend to be shinier & more prone to breakouts. And, men have larger pores & follicles.
What’s super interesting is that while men maintain that younger-looking skin through their 40s (unlike women), once a man hits 50, the signs of aging are immediate & advance at a more rapid pace! (Sorry guys!)
I’m going to help you out with that, though. Let me recommend a few things you can do to slow that down & support your skin as it ages in a healthy way.
Speaking of healthy – let’s talk health for a quick second.
How to Choose Safer (and why)
Your skin is your largest organ & what you put on it matters. That’s why understanding ingredients is so important. If you do NOTHING else after reading this article – at least promise me you will look at the ingredients on the products you are using on a regular basis.
NOTE: Don’t rely on claims on the package. Look directly at the ingredient list. We haven’t updated legislation around personal care product safety since 1938.
The European Union already bans or restricts over 1400 harmful ingredients from use in personal care products. They’ve been working on it for a few decades now. But, here in the United States, we have only banned or partially restricted 30 ingredients. (Yeah, it’s nuts!)
We all know someone impacted by cancer, auto-immune disease, allergies, etc. The current statistics is that 1 in 2 men will face a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime! And, sperm count has decreased 50% in the past several decades. And, we are just beginning to really understand the connection between chemical exposure & our health.
Here are a couple great resources that will help you understand the ingredients list & help you know which ingredients you want to avoid.
- The Never List: This is a great resource. It hits on the big ones that are easy to spot. You can download this list or just reference it before you make a purchase.
- The Environmental Group Skin Deep Database: This is a fantastic resource for checking your products. They also have an app that you can put on your phone for easy reference.
Beautycounter Products for Men
Okay, now that we got safety out of the way, I’ll introduce you to some of my favorites for guys. The good news with our brand is that we ban over 1800 ingredients. We’ve done all the work for you, so you don’t have to stress over whether something is safe or not.
And, we are ALL about performance, so you can also be confident that you are going to enjoy the results & get incredible quality. (We also have a full 60 day refund, so you can really try a product for a while at no risk.)
Three Recommended Skincare Regimens for Men over 50
I’m going to give you 3 simple routines to get started. The Basic. The Intermediate. And the more Advanced.
Cleanse & Moisturize. This is easy peasy you guys! Two steps! Just these two things will make a major improvement in your skin if it’s something you haven’t paid much attention to up until now.
- Daily Exfoliating Cleanser: Daily exfoliating cleanser to remove dirt, oil and other impurities
- Oil-Free Face Lotion: Non-greasy daily moisturizer to boost hydration.
Add a toner and an SPF. The toner you would use right after you cleanse & before you moisturize. SPF you can put on top of your moisturizer or you can use an SPF like the one below that has moisturizer built in!
- Clarifying Toner Pads: Remove excess dirt and oil with every swipe.
- Countersun Daily Sheer Defense For Face – SPF 25: This lightweight lotion provides protection from UVA, UVB, and HEV blue light rays while leaving no chalky white cast
If you are concerned with fine lines, age spots, uneven skin tone or those kinds of concerns, you will want to add these two products into your routine.
- All Bright C Serum: This ultra-potent 10% blend of two forms of vitamin C instantly brightens skin and helps reduce the appearance of existing dark spots. You would use this in the morning BEFORE your moisturizer.
- Overnight Resurfacing Peel: This leave-on AHA/BHA peel improves skin texture and boosts clarity without irritation or over-drying. You would use it every other night in your routine. After you cleanse, apply the peel, wait 3-5 minutes & then apply your moisturizer.
That’s it guys! It doesn’t matter where you start, it only matters when! The sooner you get into the habit of caring for your skin & reducing your exposure to harmful ingredients, the sooner you will reap the rewards. It’s amazing how much better your skin can look & feel when you give it what it needs to thrive.
Let me help!
If you’d like samples of any of these products or to talk specifics about your skin, just reach out. Would love to help you out.
I also run special offers all the time, so let me help you put your regimen together. I’ll take care of all the shopping for you. We ship right to your door & I’ll check in from time to time to help you replenish anything you are running low on. (No shopping required!)
Bottomline: Together we will get you on a path to having radiant, happy, healthy skin that will keep you looking good as the years go by!